¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon pure ancho or New Mexico chile powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup canola or olive oil
1 pound relatively thin (less than ¾ inch) fish filets
8 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup pico de gallo
Shredded mild cheese, optional
1 recipe fish taco sauce, plus any other salsas you like
1. Make the marinade. Stir together the lime juice, chile powder and salt until the latter is dissolved. Stir in the oil a little at a time.
2. Marinate the fish. Place the fish in the marinade and marinate for just 45 minute - 1 hour; any longer will cause the fish to begin to “cook” as for ceviche.
3. Grill the fish. Burn wood or charcoal to coals in a grill, preheat a gas grill over high, or heat a ridged iron grill pan over medium-high heat on your stove. Grill the fish on both sides until just cooked through.
4. While the fish is grilling, heat the tortillas in a tortilla warmer or toast them in a skillet over medium heat and wrap them in a towel to keep them warm.
5. Make and serve the tacos. Lay a tortilla flat on a serving plate and top it with some of the shredded cabbage. Top that with a 2 ounce slice of grilled fish, some pico de gallo, and, if using them, some guacamole and cheese. Make the remaining tacos in the same way, and serve them with the sauce, salsa, and lime wedges. Makes 8 tacos.
Recipe Source: LoMexicano.com