Recipe Source: FoodAndWine.com
Active time: 25 min
Total time: 40 min
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of garlic plus 4 large cloves, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Eight 6-ounce cleaned monkfish fillets, about 2 inches thick
Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large skillet, warm 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Add the sliced garlic and cook slowly over very low heat, shaking the skillet, until the garlic is deep golden, 15 minutes. Remove about 1/4 cup of garlic slices to a plate and reserve. Add the paprika to the garlic in the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add the water and simmer until the sauce has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
In a very large skillet, heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat until browned on the bottom, 2 minutes. Turn the fish, transfer to the oven, and roast until just cooked through, 15 minutes.
Transfer the fish to a large, warmed platter. Pour any juices from the skillet into the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes. Spoon the sauce onto plates and set the fish on top. Scatter the fried garlic over the fish and serve right away.